Plan Your Day at the Woody Plant Conference
The Woody Plant Conference is held at the Lang Performing Arts Center (LPAC) on Swarthmore College Campus. Listed below are several tips and rules to help you navigate and enjoy your time at the conference.
Temperatures in the auditorium fluctuate. We suggest dressing in layers for the conference.
Rules (there are a few)
- No refreshments or plants in the auditorium.
- No smoking in, on around, buildings.
- No cell phones or videos in sessions; turn your cell phones off.
- For safety reasons, no sitting is allowed in the aisles.
- Avoid using flashing lights or pens that will distract your neighbors.
- Enter through upper doors once slides have begun in sessions and doors are closed
In good weather, we suggest eating outside in the Scott Outdoor Amphitheater. In the event of rain, these locations are available for eating lunch, in addition to the LPAC Lobby:
- The lobby of the Lang Music Building
- The coffee lounge in Kohlberg Hall
- The classroom of the Scott Arboretum office building
Assisted Listening Devices:
At the registration desk, assisted listening devices are available and may be checked out by leaving an identification card with registration desk attendants.
The Swarthmore College Bookstore is located in the basement of Clothier Hall (the building with the bell tower). Besides College memorabilia, the bookstore carries a selection of gardening books, basic toiletries, etc. It is open 8:30-noon.
Safety and Security:
Swarthmore College Public Safety Officers may be contacted at 610-328-8228 or extension 8228 from a campus phone. In case of emergency, dial 610-328-8333 or extension 8333 from a campus phone.
Free parking and shuttles will be provided at Springfield Mall
We ask you to allow at least 20 minutes for the shuttle to the conference site. Please also consider morning commuter traffic in gauging your travel time to Swarthmore.
Shuttle buses will transport attendees between the Springfield Mall and the Rose Garden Circle all day between 7:30 a.m. and 5:45 p.m. If you wish to use this service at the end of conference, please be at the Rose Garden Circle no later than 5:40 pm.
It is a short walk to the Springfield Mall from campus.
From the LPAC, exit the campus at the North entrance at the end of Whittier Place; turn left on Elm Avenue, go to intersection (l/2 block); turn right onto Walnut Lane, go about 3 blocks until T; turn left onto Swarthmore Avenue, go to Baltimore Pike. The Mall is on opposite side of Baltimore Pike with the conference parking on the far side of the Mall. Maps available at the registration table.
Due to parking regulation changes at Swarthmore College, the Scott Arboretum is no longer able to set aside special handicap parking spaces for the conference. Those with a handicap sign in their cars are welcome to park in any designated handicap spots on campus.
For travel by train
Take the SEPTA Media-Elwyn line to the Swarthmore Station and head up the oak allée. Signs will direct you to the conference.
Due to limited parking on campus, no visitor parking on campus is allowed by conference attendees. Permits are now required for several lots on campus and
- From the Blue Route (I-476), take Exit 3 Media/Swarthmore
- At the bottom of the exit ramp, head east onto Baltimore Pike toward Swarthmore
- Get into the
left handlane (Springfield Mall is just up the hill on the left)
- From Baltimore Pike, turn left into Springfield Mall
- Follow the green and white signs that will take you to the left side and behind the mall
- Parking will be behind the mall in the area under the metal archway
Note: The archway has a 7’ clearance, please park outside of it if in a van or large vehicle.
Surrounding AreaThe Scott Arboretum of Swarthmore College is the hosting site of the Woody Plant Conference. It is located in the Delaware Valley, an area rich in gardens, horticulture
- The Inn at Swarthmore
- Chester County (PA) Conference & Visitors Bureau
- Brandywine (PA) Conference & Visitors Bureau
- Greater Wilmington (DE) Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Brandywine Valley Bed & Breakfasts
- Greater Philadelphia Tourism
- Independence Visitor Center, Philadelphia
- Philadelphia Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Valley Forge Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Greater Philadelphia Gardens
- Swarthmore Pennsylvania
If such accommodations are needed, contact Julie Jenney at 610-328-8025 by June 22.