The Woody Plant Conference is held at the Lang Performing
Arts Center (LPAC) on Swarthmore College Campus. Listed below are several
tips and rules to help you navigate and enjoy your time at
- Temperatures in the auditorium fluctuate. We suggest dressing
in layers for the conference.
In good weather, we suggest eating outside in the Scott Outdoor
In the event of rain, these locations are available for eating
lunch, in addition to the LPAC Lobby:
- the lobby of the Lang Music Building;
- the coffee lounge in Kohlberg Hall;
- the classroom of the Scott Arboretum office building.
The Rules (there are a few):
- No refreshments or plants in the auditorium.
- No smoking in, on around, buildings.
- No cell phones or videos in sessions; turn your cell phones
- For safety reasons, no sitting is allowed in the aisles.
- Avoid using flashing lights or pens that will distract your neighbors.
- Enter through upper doors once slides have begun in sessions
and doors are closed.
Assisted Listening Devices:
At the registration desk, assisted listening devices are available
and may be checked out by leaving an identification card with
registration desk attendants.
From the conference site to the parking lot at Springfield Mall:
Shuttle buses will depart from the Rose Garden Circle; shuttle
service will run continuously all day until 5:45 p.m. If
you wish to use this service at the end of conference, please
be at the Rose Garden Circle no later than 5:40 pm.
It is a short walk to the Springfield Mall from campus.
From the LPAC, exit the campus at the North entrance at the
end of Whittier Place; turn left on Elm Avenue, go to intersection
(l/2 block); turn right onto Walnut Lane, go about 3 blocks
until T; turn left onto Swarthmore Avenue, go to Baltimore
Pike. The Mall is on opposite side of Baltimore Pike
with the conference parking on the far side of the Mall. Maps
available at the registration table.
The Swarthmore College Bookstore is located in the basement
of Clothier Hall (the building with the bell tower). Besides
College memorabilia, the bookstore carries a selection of gardening
books, basic toiletries, etc. It is open 8:30-noon.
Swarthmore College Public Safety Officers may
be contacted at 610-328-8228 or extension 8228 from a campus
case of emergency, dial 610-328-8333 or extension 8333 from
a campus phone.
Enjoy the Conference!